SAN ANGELO — After many years of planning, saving, and praying, St. Joseph the Worker Church in San Angelo has received a much needed facelift.
Since its dedication in 1983, the church had been lovingly maintained but had not received any major renovations — until now. With permission and blessing from Bishop Michael D. Pfeifer, OMI, the project began with enthusiasm. The work took four weeks to complete thanks to dedicated volunteers who worked long hours into the days and nights. The task began with the careful removal of old pews.
During the renovation, Masses were held in the old mission building, which brought back a flood of memories for many of the long-time parishioners who had worshiped there from 1957 until the move to the current building.
In the main church, flooring was replaced by shiny new marble and a new layout was created which allowed better access in all areas. Attention to detail was paid as special areas were designated for wheelchair seating.
In addition, niches were carved into the walls to give a special setting for the antique statues to allow parishioners to worship with the Communion of Saints.
Fr. Emilio Sosa took on a special project as he hand-painted a glass door with the images of the old San Jose Mission along with the new St. Joseph the Worker Church logo and other art including lilies (the symbol of St. Joseph) and the crest of the Diocese of San Angelo.
A special blessing was given by Bishop Pfeifer during the dedication of the newly remodeled church on the weekend of February 11-12. Many thanks and blessings go out to all who dedicated their services, time, efforts, financial pledges, and prayers towards this undertaking. If you wish to view the “new” church, St. Joseph the Worker Church is located at 301 W. 17th Street (on the corner of Bryant and 17th Street) in San Angelo. All are welcome.